Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rhys is celebrating 5 weeks today

Little man is 5 weeks old today. He's somewhat recovered from yesterday and seems to be resting more today. We heard grumblings yesterday of addressing his PDA, and today they tell me they've sent for a cardio consult. The doctor doesn't want to try the medication for fear of hurting Rhys' kidneys, so they're going straight to the surgery. Based on preliminary conversations the cardio team is in agreement that the PDA needs to be closed. However, they are unaware he is on the oscillator, so I am curious to see their reaction when they walk in to assess the patient. Rhys' PDA is apparently rather large and he isn't going to make significant progress with it open. I am extremely worried about the surgery. We are told it is a fairly simple surgery considering it deals with the heart, and doesn't take very long to complete. My big concern is that he doesn't have a lot of room to get worse before he gets better, which I heard is typically the case. His oscillator settings are already very high and if he needs extra support he doesn't have that much available to him. I have also heard the potential of starting him on a maintenance steroid course, much like the 10-day course he was on last week. I guess the hope is that this would help him improve enough to get him through the days following surgery. I will keep you all posted on the progress and outcome of the consult. In the meantime, please pray for guidance for the doctors to make the right decision and pray that Rhys will have a successful recovery from the surgery, whenever they choose to do it.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I had to comment after reading this post. My daughter had her PDA ligation at 2wks old and went into it extremely unstable, having coded just 15min before they started and not even tolerating the ventilator and thus having to be bagged. It was so frightening not knowing if she'd make it but immediately we saw improvement. She did slide backwards a little bit but finally it seemed like there was light at the end of the tunnel. I knew that without the surgery she'd never make progress and once the surgery was out of the way I knew progress was just around the corner.

Please know that others are praying for your sweet baby and there there are people who've walked this painful path before.

Angie and Jason said...

My dear friends... we are praying for baby Rhys and his speedy recovery from surgery. I pray every day for the two of you to find some peace of mind, I pray for your strength and courage. He's going to fight, he has been fighting, he'll continue to fight. Have faith that he will recover and there will be light at the end of the tunnel for you. Our love, thoughts, prayers and hugs are with you.
Angie & Jason

Kelly said...

I don't know you, but I found your blog through a friend and I have been praying for your family. My son was born at 26 weeks. He had PDA surgery at three days old. He did well with the surgery and immediately showed improvment in his stats. He will be 3 years old on Wednesday and has no problems from being born so early. Miracles do happen!

Muriel R. said...

You have to trust the surgeons and their decision. They do miracles. It will be scary but it is for progress... Just keeping the little figther in our prayers...
Muriel & Derek