Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 17

Well, much of the same today, he seems to mostly be holding steady. His oxygen is at 65% and they have only made minor adjustments here and there to his oscillator. He has a spot or two on the back of his head that is something of a bed sore. They try to rotate and move them often to prevent this from happening, but I guess there is only so much they can do. He now has a gel pillow to try to make him more comfortable and I must say he looks much more comfortable than he looked yesterday.
Our primary nurse is back on duty for the next three days and I am very happy about that. I wasn't too thrilled with the way he was handled yesterday. As Cody mentioned in the previous post he has something attached to every limb and it weighs him down. Since he is paralyzed he moves very little, and does not have the opportunity to move his arms/legs on his own, they basically stay in the same position the nurses leave them. His primary nurse is very careful to make sure his limbs are in the proper position (think fetal position), while most of the others just let them hang at any abnormal angle they fall. I am thinking that could potentially be a problem for his little bones later down the road. Rhys' primary neonatal doctor must live at the hospital. From what we are told they are supposed to have a two week on/two week off schedule, but he has been here everyday since I was admitted on July 16th. He really seems to love this job because he never goes home. He told us yesterday we wouldn't see him for the next 7 days, but guess who just walked in? This is the no-nonsense doctor who always gives it to us straight. We are here so much I think we are growing on him because he smiled at us today!
Lastly, I think Cody and I might have saddled our son with "one of those names". Rhys is a legitimate spelling, it is Welsh, but apparently it isn't as easy as it should be. I was fairly certain we would have to correct the spelling of his name, since it isn't "Reece" or "Reese", but never in a million years did I ever think I would have to tell someone how to pronounce it. We consistently get "Rice" or "Riss" or "how do you pronounce that?" Poor little guy, not only will he have to correct and spell his last name for everyone (you'd be surprised at how few people get it correct), but he is going to have to explain his first name too. Maybe my grandpa Logan (where Rhys' middle name came from) has it right by calling him Little Logan.


Mary G said...

Slow and steady wins the race! Glad you all are hanging in there -More prayers are on the way. Love you!

The Goodwins

Chris & AnnMarie said...

Rhys is a beautiful name! Very unique and special for a mighty little guy!

I'm happy that yall have a primary nurse for Rhys. I couldnot have made it through the NICU rollarcoaster without the support of Coy's primary nurses. Email me and I can give you some names of the ones we had. (And don't be afraid to speak up and tell the charge nurse if you aren't happy with Rhys nursing care---most nurses were amazing, but there were a few who I asked to not have again.) All in all, Rhys is in amazing care.

Hang in there guys. Steady days are good days. We are still praying and believing in complete healing for Rhys and your family.

Ann Marie

Jodi said...

Rhys is a great name. So is Logan. Logan is our little angel.

Anonymous said...

Rhys is a tight name. Anyone who has seen Notting Hill knows this.

Pachar Family said...

Atleast his last name isn't Pachar. It's been pronounced every way except the right way. Rhys is a wonderful name for a wonderful blessing. We love y'all!

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Rhys is a great name. Our oldest is Jonathan and you wouldn't think people could misspell that but they do. from Assistant Village Idiot's wife