Saturday, September 13, 2008

Still loving Ike

Well it is no fun living without electricity as many have discovered. I will freely admit I am spoiled to it. Last night was doubly hard. First because Rhys had an episode yesterday and we weren't capable of getting to him, but secondly because the storm came in during the night. It is one thing to be able to see the destruction, but it is a little freaky when it is pitch black outside and you can hear the constant howl of the wind. We stayed at a friend's house and shared in the misery loves company thing. Cody and I slept (I use that term loosely) downstairs in the living room and were awakened many times by the noises from outside. Luckily our friends only had minor fence damage, and our house came out completely unscathed. Not sure how that happened, but I am certainly grateful. I was sure our fence would be gone if nothing else. So now we wait for power to be restored. For those not living close it is a total mess around here. Tons of trees and power lines down. Business have lost lettering and windows and parts of the buildings. Not sure how long it will take to get everything back online.

We made it to the hospital late this afternoon to check on Rhys. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the calm emergency room was definitely not it. The hospital is still on lock-down so all visitors have to go in and out of the emergency room. It wasn't nearly as chaotic as I would have imagined, I was thinking something from Grey's Anatomy. :o) Anyway, Rhys is doing much better. The nurse said he is having as good a day today as his bad day was yesterday. *sigh* Big relief. He is now 2lb 14oz and he looks so big. He got to wear his clothes for the first time yesterday. His super tiny preemie clothes look so small until you get them on him and they swallow him. Our camera is currently in the car, so we will post pics of that tomorrow. He is still the poster child for the Zaky, and now he is using two of them, one to lay on and the other to support him. Anyway, just wanted to give everyone a quick update. Cody and I are both exhausted and seriously looking forward to having our power restored so we can rest up. It is challenging enough to live the NICU life, but to throw a hurricane into the mix is beyond crazy.


Emily's Blog said...

I'm glad that Rhys is doing better. I am guessing that ya'll live in the Houston area somewhere. I'm in Austin, and we got alot of the evacuees.
Glad that your house wasn't destroyed.

Jodi said...

I have to say I agree 100% While in the NICU, you can't really have any other stressors in your life...and a hurricane is a huge stressor. We have been thinking about you. It was kind of cute, tonight, my husband was asking how Rhys was doing. Out of all my preemie blogs, there are very few that he really keeps up with. He told me that he didn't know why, but Rhys is one that really "tugs at his heart strings." We were happy to learn that he was doing better. I remember when Olivia wore clothes for the first time. They were so small and we had to keep rolling up the sleeves. That's an exciting step. We're so glad to hear that everything is going well and hopefully power will be restored shortly.

Tim said...

Hey, Cody, Candice and Rhys! Greetings from Pointe-Noire, Congo! Just wanted to check in on you guys, as I know that much of the city is without power. Debi and the boys are at our house - with friends but without power as well. Sorry you can't be near little man, but glad to hear he's still doing well.
Take care, and we'll see you soon.

Tim and Debi

Melanie said...

Hi Candice! I'm so glad to hear that Rhys is doing well and that you were able to get in to see him already. He looks fantastic. It is amazing to look back at the photos from 8 weeks ago to see how far he has come already. :)

I hope all of your family is safe and escaped the water in Orange.


Jamie said...

Glad you guys got to the hospital to be with Rhys. I can't imagine having to deal with a hurricane with a baby in the NICU.

I know quite a lot about ROP as my daughter had 5 eye surgeries due to it. My son escaped having any problems. On their first check we were told they were still too young to tell anything. This could be the same with Rhys. They follow them very closely because, as in my daughters case she developed it pretty quickly. I am praying that Rhys' eyes will not be affected. My daughter got glasses at 9 months old. She does so well, even despite her vision loss. To see a baby with glasses, feel free to check out our blog!

I remember the first time my kids wore clothes too. It became so fun to dress them!

I hope Rhys continues to grow big and strong!