Monday, September 29, 2008

Another good day today

Rhys had another good day. He slept very well, was relaxed and didn't require ativan. His arm board came out yesterday so he has been able to move his arms freely like he loves to do. He gained some weight last night and now is 1560 grams (3lb 7oz) and 16 inches long. He is a bit behind on the weight portion of the growth curve, but he didn't start milk feedings for several weeks after birth and his lung condition hinders him a bit as well. They are going to monitor him for another week or so and see how much weight he gains. Depending on what they see they might increase his calorie fortifier. He is now at 27cc per feeding, so we're closing in on one ounce (30cc)! He still loves his milk and seems to get a little crabby when it's time to eat. He is taking his pacifier like a champ lately too and that is a great thing.

The doctor rotation changed again today. His primary neonatal doctor is off and who I previously referred to as Dr. Gloom is back on. I respect this doctor and think he's good, but I still prefer to let Cody speak with him and just listen in. Cody chatted with him today and he had good things to say about Rhys. He is happy with his progress from six weeks ago when last he saw him and thinks Rhys has come a long way. The fact that Rhys' brain bleed seems to be resolving and hasn't caused swelling in his brain is very encouraging to him. His strategy is to keep weaning Rhys off the vent and let him pack on the pounds. At this point potential infection is Rhys' greatest challenge other than his lungs so please pray from Rhys to stay healthy and free from infection, and continue to gain good weight and grow like a weed!

5 comments:

amyoutlaw said...

Dude -That's awesome news. Keep it coming Mr Rhys and I'll buy you what ever you want. Pending the economic crisis of course!

Crystal M said...

He is just so cute! A beautiful baby - but really could anyone have expected anything less!? I'm so happy he tolerated his shots well. I know I stressed to the max on those appointments with Colton and always scheduled them when Josh could go too. (I didn't want to be the bad guy holding him down!) We will continue to pray for a healthy, chubby Rhys and peace of mind for mommy & daddy - even though I don't know if parents really ever truly achieve that! :) Lots of love to you both!

Crystal & Josh

Angie and Jason said...

You all three have our prayers! He's going to be a chunky little monkey you do not worry about that. I love to hear it was a good day. We love you!

suzanne said...

Hey family....long time no talk or see. Ike interupted technology over here. I've missed the blog. He looks like he's grown massivly since I last checked out the blog. He looks wonderful. Cody, you are brainwashing an innocent child into becoming a sports-a-holic. Football!! I love seeing you guys do regular (regular for a nicu family) family things. God has richly blessed you. Thank Him, as I know you do often. I love you and have missed you.

Chunky Mama said...

Hey guys - I haven't been able to check the blog in a week, but when I saw the pics of Rhys today, I had to tell you how shocked I am...He has grown so much! I love seeing the pics of his eyes open and him looking alert! He is such a little stud muffin!