Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The swing is our friend!


Rhys likes, no loves, his swing. Thanks auntie M and uncle D. He has been a little better the last few days, sleeping 5.5-6 hours at night. MIRACLE! He is becoming better at letting us lie him down once he's asleep, his eyes don't always pop open as soon as you put him down, and he is taking better naps throughout the day. He is still having tummy problems, but thankfully not to the extent that he was late last week. He doesn't do the full out wailing scream except for seconds at a time, and instead now does the pathetic whine with the lip quiver. It is funny now because he does that when he is tired, and we are starting to be able to recognize his different sounds.

Though I don't have any basis for it I am worried about his weight. I don't feel like he's losing weight, but I don't know that he's gaining any either. He is eating well and I really have no cause for alarm, but I have decided to purchase a scale so we can keep a better tab on how he's doing. I will not become obsessed with it, I just want to make sure he's doing okay more frequently than every few weeks when we see the pedi. Though he is averaging on the high end of the hospital goal (about 2-2.5 ounces per feed) it seems low to me. Anything more than that and it's like he's stuffed to the gills. He is still on fortified milk so he is getting more calories, but I worry all the same. He didn't have any spit up today, but did twice yesterday. Very random, we can't figure it out. We thought maybe it had to do with us giving him his meds when he eats, but that was just a thought. (Someone asked about him taking his meds and luckily he does it like a champ! He starts licking at the syringe and swallows and takes his meds very well so I am hoping that is a good sign for when we start introducing a spoon.) We also noticed today that his mouth and nose got red while he was eating and then went away. Not sure what that's about, I hope it isn't an allergy. I haven't eaten anything in the last 24 hours or so that I haven't eaten before.

For some reason I can't keep to my pumping schedule. You'd think it would be easier since I don't go anywhere, but I am doing good to remember to brush my teeth every day. I am not the neatest of people, but I never thought I'd be this frazzled and disorganized. The doctor mentioned trying to breastfeed but that sounds alien to me since I've strictly been pumping the last 6 months. Aside from wondering if he was eating enough it just seems plain weird even though countless people do it all the time. My body has not been my own for a year now, but I am going to try to continue pumping at least through RSV season. Hopefully I can stick with it that long and Rhys will be eating regular food by then as well.

Oh, Cody said Rhys smiled at him today. Three times! I didn't see it, but that is a first since he's only smiled thus far in his sleep.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

It gets increasingly difficult to pump once your baby comes home. Breastfeeding didn't work for us either and I just kept pumping once Olivia got home. I think once they start out on a bottle, it's really hard to switch. Plus, I couldn't imagine not knowing how much Olivia was taking after counting each cc.

Rhys is amazing and Ryan and I both think of you all often. RSV season is tough. I know it's not as crucial for us this year as it was last year, but because she didn't get approved for Synagis. .. we're a little wary. I think once a week. . .in the afternoon. . .grandma Mary is going to watch Olivia so that I can get out. I feel like a caged animal! And. . .I'm a homebody!

Mary Anne Whiteley said...

I know that some preemies have succeeded at latching on, but it's not something I would attempt without having a good scale (you mentioned purchasing one, but you can also get some awesome digital rental scales-- try Woman's Work or the hospital where you delivered) plus a good lactation consultant or IBCLC. The one I used in the Houston area is now retired, and the one that I'd really recommend lives in the Austin area, unfortunately. Pumping exclusively is a daunting task. You might be able to find more information from pumpmoms.org. Also, they have a yahoo group. There are herbs you can take to help increase output, or foods you can eat/not eat that will help with supply as well. A colleague of mine wrote the book "Mother Food: A Breastfeeding Diet Guide with Lactogenic Foods and Herbs - Build Milk Supply, Boost Immunity, Lift Depression, Detox, Lose Weight, Optimize a Baby's IQ, and Reduce Colic and Allergy" and you might be able to get some info off of http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/default.aspx as well. I am a volunteer for that organization. I know you have little spare time, but if you do have the time, check it out.

One last thing, sorry this is a diary, but a pumping bustier would be a great help if you don't already have one. That way you can have your hands free for other things...

Chris and Machel said...

Hey guys!!
Hang in there Candice, you are doing a great job!! Rhys looks so cute!! I am so happy that he is eating better and smiling at Daddy!! I am so thankful to you both for continuing to show your support and give advice to Machel and myself. Thank you for being such amazing people and may the Lord continue to watch over your beautiful family!!