Friday, December 12, 2008

Sleep Sheep

Little man likes to be held.
I'm reeeeealy hoping the Sleep Sheep is responsible for this...
Nothing new today for little man. He was sleeping nicely in his swing when I walked in. Well, he was for about 60 seconds and then he started screaming (without opening his eyes mind you). So, had to get him out of the swing. Of course as soon as he hits my shoulder he is out like a light again. And then it's time to eat, but he's too tired and doesn't want his bottle. He keeps giving me what I call his fish lips. We've previously had to support his chin to help him suck properly, but he's decided he doesn't need that anymore and he'll pull away when you try to help him. I guess he thinks his 8 pounds 2 ounces makes him a big boy.

I am hoping I have found a new friend in the Sleep Sheep. I have seen these things around for a while and have been wondering if they really work. My amazing other half has a propensity for finding these "can't live without" deals online and he came across this little sheep while searching one night. Thanks babe! Since it was $15 with free shipping I thought I'd try it out.... maybe Rhys would like it (secretly I am thinking PLEASE let Rhys like it). I took it to the hospital today to give it a whirl. Right before I left I put Rhys back in his crib and of course he started to protest. So, I stick his pacifier in his mouth, talk to him a little and turn on the whale sounds. Since he was sucking his pacifier he could actually hear the thing and what'dya know his eyes started fluttering and rolling back in his head. I remove the pacifier and stand there amazed. He occasionally lifts his eyebrows like he's really listening, but look at him. He's seriously relaxed. Coincidence?? I sincerely hope not!!

2 comments:

amyoutlaw said...

Candice - Brilliant! I have the sleep sheep too and forgot about it. I'm pulling that thing out tonight for shizzle.

Amy

Chris and Machel said...

Candice, sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to you...I believe that Chris tried. I want to take the time to tell you THANK YOU SO MUCH for reaching out to us. You have definitely paid it forward. At the instant that all of this happens, you think that you are the only one that has gone through it. We have been amazed at how many preemie stories we have heard...even many from 20-30 years ago.

I just left Bella two hours ago. I find it harder and harder to pull myself away from here. They wanted me to kangaroo her yesterday, which I have been waiting for, but we felt it would be best to wait till after the PDA treatments (so hopefully Monday).

I happened to be reading to Bella when doctors did rounds this afternoon. It wasn't dismal or anything, just hard to listen to with some of the words they mention. Our nurses try to be so uplifting with their approach to interpreting what is going on. I am so thankful my baby girl has made it through the first week.

I must say, Rhys is adorable. The faces you are able to capture in some of your pictures are awesome. The news about his vision is good. We are so happy for you all and pray that each day gets better and easier. Give Rhys a hug from us.

Much love,
Chris, Machel & Bella