Wednesday, June 10, 2009

teeth and other stuff

In the past 48 hours Rhys and I have slept very little. Not by my choice, trust me. He had a low grade temp yesterday morning and it continued through the remainder of the day. I got concerned thinking maybe he had a bug of some sort since this has never happened before, so I called the pedi and brought him. I am forever paranoid of not being aware of something that is important to catch early.

Since his ears, throat, and lungs looked/sounded great the pedi thinks this is teething related. It seems there is a bit of tooth poking through his gums! I'd say "finally", except that I'm fairly certain I could have lived the whole of my life without ever experiencing this continual restless, not sleeping, yucky diaper making experience. Holy moly. For Rhys having only (literally) slept a couple hours in the last 36 he is behaving remarkably well. It has been horrible watching him be so tired and being unable to sleep. Holding, rocking, walking, soothing - nothing worked. He wants so badly to go to bed, yet when he closes his eyes he continually tosses and can not get comfortable. It has been somewhat better this afternoon and he taken two small naps. The fever seems to be less as well and he is acting a bit more himself.

He is still tearing up his bottles and demanding to eat every 3-4 hours, sucking it dry every time. The pedi said this is fine and let him eat if he wants to. This is a new experience for us since Rhys has never wanted to eat like this. He weighed 17 pounds 1 ounce with a onesie and clean diaper yesterday and is almost 27 inches long! Any attempt to put his cannula in his nose results in him becoming violently angry so he went most of the day without it. He was satting high 80s, which isn't fantastic but I have to choose my battles. He is wearing the cannula again right now, but I know his little nose is raw so I hate making him wear it.

1 comment:

Jill (& Bob) said...

We've had good luck with Hyland's Teething Tablets providing some relief for Sarah (certainly helps her to sleep). Just a thought! Hope you all get some sleep soon