Thursday, December 9, 2010

more equipment

In addition to the chair and gait trainer Rhys has on order I was able to find him a stander on eBay for pennies! A stander was on the wish list, but it was more important to get the other equipment first. And since we didn't wish to bombard the insurance company with all requests at once (there is a high probability they would not have approved additional major purchases all in one whack) we put the stander on hold for a bit. I've been scouring eBay for various equipment that may work for Rhys, and recently came across a fantastic deal on a demo stander that is in excellent, like new condition. We paid $375 for something that would cost more than $2600 new. The mark-up on medical equipment is truly obscene. I don't know how these people sleep at night. Anyway, I am super excited to get this in for him! He loves to stand up, but it is difficult to hold him in the proper position for any length of time. This will allow him to work on muscle conditioning, but more importantly it will give him another opportunity for "normal" interaction. I'm still angry we didn't think to get this a year ago, but I guess we were waiting on someone to tell us what we needed. Which isn't like me at all, I am normally three steps ahead of the game, so I don't know where my head was. But, it's on its way now, and I think it will do wonders for Rhys.

No comments: