Tuesday, November 24, 2009

the kitchen sink

Today I am 20 weeks pregnant. Oh so close to viability, but not quite there. It is making me even more anxious, wanting to make sure I keep Little Sister cooking for many many more weeks. Ideally 16 more weeks.

I had my first fFN test today, as well as a cervix check. Um, not fun! Of course they wouldn't do it if it were harmful, but there is something about them poking around in an area you want to remain closed that makes me squirm.

As of tonight I have a new, goes with me everywhere friend. This is to be my constant companion until Little Sister is born. Meet my terbutaline pump.

This pump is much the same as an insulin pump that some diabetics use. It is about the size of a cell phone and is attached to a catheter into the leg or stomach. The catheter looks like a plug to me and reminds of me of the thing that was sticking out of Keanu Reeves' neck in The Matrix. I am certain one of these days I will not have the pump attached to my pants/shirt and walk off, drop the pump and cause the catheter to pop out of my leg! Nice thought isn't it? :) Anywho, my pump is set to deliver a very small amount of medicine at a constant rate, with another small bolus injection every four hours. Overall, not so bad, but it is going to be a bit of a nuisance to always be juggling the connecting tube. All worth it for Little Sister of course. So far I am a bit jittery, but nothing I don't get from antihistamines.

My contraction monitor came today as well. I did my first monitoring session tonight and no contractions! Woohoo! I will monitor for one hour in the morning and evenings, unless I am having concerns. The session is sent wirelessly to the home health agency where it is reviewed by an RN, who then promptly calls me back to give me the results. Pretty nifty.

So, as my OB says, they're throwing in the kitchen sink and taking no chances. We are doing everything we can to get Little Sister to 36 weeks! I am feeling good and confident, but I am not taking things for granted. I am still trying to remind myself to take it easy and accept the help that is offered.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rhys is doing great. He's healthy and happy and still plugging along at his own pace. He got his second dose of Synagis today, poor kid.

We recently gave Rhys peanut butter for the first time. HUGE success. If you can't tell, he has peanut butter all over. He really seems to like it despite it being super thick, which is usually a turn off for him. At his last weight check he was an even 21 pounds!

We are in the process of switching Rhys from private PT to ECI PT. Our private therapist is fantastic and we love her, but she is 45 minutes away. This is making it hard to get Rhys back and forth since I am supposed to be taking it easy. I am sad, but also think this is going to be a great opportunity for Rhys to have therapy at the house every week. I think it will be much easier than trying to juggle his sleep schedule, car time and eating and ensure he isn't a grouch that cries through the whole session.

Today I am: 1 year, 4 months, 1 week and 1 day old.
Adjusted I am: 1 year, 2 weeks and 2 days old.


Sara said...

Glad to hear little sister is doing well! That last picture is just too funny I love it. Good luck with the new Pt.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures and I'm so glad things are going well with little sister. I hope you, Cody, Rhys, and little sister have a Great Thanksgiving. Love ya!