Tuesday, April 2, 2013

the crud croup

I started potty training Zoe back in December, on her first day of Christmas break.  I went cold-turkey panties, but did do a pull-up at night because I didn't have the energy to deal with night time accidents since wouldn't you know the day we started potty training was the day Rhys checked into the hospital for RSV.  The pull-ups didn't last long though, after I realized Zoe was only having accidents when she sat in bed for a while after waking up.  May be hard to believe, but until that time she didn't get out of bed until we came to get her.  She was usually silent and would sit there for who knows how long.  I finally convinced her to come get mommy or daddy when she got up so she could use the potty.  That worked great!  Fast forward to today and she now wakes up at the crack of dawn!
Yesterday morning was no exception.  She got up early, sat on the couch while I got Rhys ready for school and then I put her back in bed with me so I could get an extra hour of (much needed) sleep.  I woke up, got out of bed as I normally do, but Zoe didn't wake up.  She's usually right on my heels.  Clue one!
I woke her up at 10:30 and she acted fine all day.  About 4 o'clock she was yawning and telling me she was tired.  It isn't out of the norm for her to tell me she's tired, but at 4 o'clock if she's tired that usually means she is a cranky pants, and not wanting to sleep.  Clue two!
Last night she asked to go to bed.  No further explanation necessary.  Clue three!
About 10 p.m. last night Zoe woke up with a barking cough.  She had a fever of 101+ and was puking from the violent coughing.  She was also sucking air.  She was upset and asked for a bath because she threw up in bed, and while I was bathing her her little chest was caving from struggling to breathe.  Cody rushed her to the emergency pedi clinic where she skipped the half dozen kids in the waiting room.  After a steroid/epinephrine she was much improved.  Talk about scary!  B had croup when he was 4-5 months old, and even though he had a hard time at night it never got that bad.  She thankfully slept well through the night, only coughing once or twice, so I am grateful the meds at the clinic worked.  Now I'm hoping the other two don't get it. :/

No comments: